Thursday, September 29, 2011

Man of Steel

What is a man? Is he physically strong or is he a nerd? Does he shoo you out of the room when its time for the game or does stay at the lab all night studying molecular genetics? Is he your strength or your confidante? I have a hard time believing these are the things that qualify a man, yet that is what we're getting bombarded with these days. Why must it be either or, why not both? Somewhere in the midst of war, economic downfall and the political power struggle we let our definition of a man get skewed by our society's overwhelming need to control what we no longer wish to control. We've become so busy with everything else that our sons, little brothers, nephews, cousins are made to choose how they're going to portray their manliness to the rest of the world. They're made to look outside instead of inside the home.

Since when is a man defined by his suite or his backward fitted cap? Who said physical strength makes you a man, or the ability to quote Shakespeare or the Bible makes you more of a man than the guy who makes his living as a ballet dancer? When did we start letting other people decide what a real man looks like? When did our men stop being heroes and start competing against each other? When did our men start putting themselves in categories; when did that become acceptable? Who decides on what job/career is more socially acceptable for a man as long as he's providing for his family?

Real men do what they can to protect their household (within the legal ramifications of the law), they validate their daughters and nieces so they won't have to find in other places, they guide their families in the ways of the Lord, they make time for the ones they love. Real men are the strong arm to lean on, but are the tender shoulder to cry on.

My real man bares the burden of his brother, walks beside his mate not in front of her. He disagrees respectfully, disciplines with a strong hand and graceful heart, he teaches his children what it is to have an open heart for all. He teaches his daughters that beauty is only skin deep, but the light of Christ shines through and reaches far beyond what looks ever could. My real man prays for the future relationships of his children, he nurtures the relationship he has with his friends, he pays attention to the little things. My real man fights tooth and nail to keep his family cared for and happy. He makes mistakes, goes against the will of God at times, but pleads with a heart of sorrow for forgiveness from God and his family. He never forgets a birthday or recital, he checks for monsters under the bed, kisses me goodnight, tells me everything is going to be ok, and tells me I will be his forever although I am a precious and borrowed gift from our real Father. My real man still kills bugs and listens to me banter about what I want to be when I grow up.

My real man never let society define his manhood, but he took what he learned from his father and raised a pretty decent daughter. My real man is my dad. Tony Frank. Thanks for not letting trends, circumstances, competition define who you are in Christ. Thanks for being my man of steel.

No comments:

Post a Comment